Our website representing Llangan Community Council, the Llangan, Treoes, St Mary Hill and Ruthin communities and the surrounding area

St Canna Church, Llangan

Saint Canna Church, Llangan

St Canna Church is very much part of the local community and it aims to provide a firm link in the chain with the past, present and very importantly the future.

Saint Canna is said to have been a Breton princess – the daughter of Tudor Mawr. She married her cousin, Prince Sadwrn and came to live in Wales. Their son, Crallo, has a church dedicated in his name in nearby Coychurch. Canna founded another church in West Wales and is then thought to have lived as a nun. Her name is associated with Canton and Pontcanna in Cardiff. Her feast day is 25th October.

As far back as 1254, a church was mentioned in Llangan. The medieval church on the site was greatly modified in the 1850’s by the Victorians causing many of the original features to be lost. The Old Schoolroom was added in 1881.

The church is Grade 2 listed and still has many interesting features. The bell tower houses two bells –one medieval and the other dated 1891.

The medieval semi-circular font of Sutton stone is still used for baptisms – the stem is octagonal, the base square and plinth hexagonal.

On the North wall is the Lower Rood Stair Door, now opening into the Old Schoolroom, and may well be the original.

The paneled wooden Pulpit, The Altar and the Altar Rails are all though to be Victorian.

The stained-glass window is dated and signed William Glasby 1932. It depicts The Ascending Christ, The Rev. David Jones and St Canna. The window was financed through public subscription to the sum of £105.

Rev.David Jones (1736-1810) was rector at St Canna’s Church. Although he stayed in the established church, he was a strong supporter of Methodism and was known to be an extraordinary preacher. He attracted crowds in their thousands, preaching from the steps outside the south wall door or through an open window. He became known as The Angel of Llangan.

The Angel of Llangan

The organ, which was built by Manders, who have an international reputation, was refurbished in 2016 with funds from the Friends of St Canna

The churchyard has monuments dating back to the 9th Century and is likely to have been used for burials for centuries.

The churchyard

Whilst, like most churches, the regular congregation is small, the church still thrives through the support of local people and The Friends of St Canna.

The Friends of St Canna

The church is part of the Rectorial Benefice of Cowbridge and details of holding weddings, baptisms and funerals as well as regular services can be found on www.cowbridgeparish.comS

Comments are closed.