The Old School Room, Llangan
The Old School Room Meeting room is part of St Canna’s Church in Llangan and does double duty as the Church Vestry.
It was probably originally added when the Church was remodeled in 1856. After its life as a schoolroom was over (Llangan School was built in 1913) the Old Schoolroom was used for village functions and a vestry for the church.
Following some subsidence and loss of waterproofing it fell into disuse and continued to deteriorate structurally. Finally, the choice was either to demolish it or restore it. The local wish was for the latter . Grants were promised from The Diocese of Llandaff and the Welsh Church Act and added to public donations to form a Restoration Fund. In 2010 a top up grant of some £145,000 was obtained from CFAP which enabled the restoration work to go ahead on the understanding that the restored room should provide a community facility.
The full story of the Old School Room’s restoration can be found here.
The Old School Room’s new life
Llangan did not have a shop, public house or community facility, other than the Church and while halls exist in both Ferm Goch and Treoes, Llangan had always felt the lack of its own space.
The OSR now provides a great venue for regular meetings of some local groups and is quite sought after for one off events such as workshops, parties etc. and it is where the Community Council meets regularly.
We also have a 4m x 10m marquee used for a number of summer events and available for private hire. It comes complete with a group of willing locals able to erect and dismantle it!
Book the Old School Room
If you would be interested in booking the room please contact David Reed:
Tel: 01656 861362 or email: email@example.com