Our website representing Llangan Community Council, the Llangan, Treoes, St Mary Hill and Ruthin communities and the surrounding area

Saron Chapel, Treoes

Saron Chapel was founded in 1831, initially in a barn, as an Independent Welsh Nonconformist Chapel. It took the residents of Treoes almost 10 years to raise the funds to build the present day Grade II listed building which held its first recorded service on 14th or 15th February 1842.

Saron Chapel today
The Chapel prior to renovation in 2017/18

Saron Chapel was founded in 1831, initially in a barn, as an Independent Welsh Nonconformist Chapel. It took the residents of Treoes almost 10 years to raise the funds to build the present day Grade II listed building which held its first recorded service on 14th or 15th February 1842.

Saron Chapel has had a number of renovations over the years most recently in 2017/18 when, following a great fundraising effort by the local community, it was substantially renovated. The old grey render was removed, repointed and repainted, and a new roof, new doors and windows were installed, returning it to its former glory. Modern additions of an external toilet, new carpeting and under-seat electric heating were also been added.

There are currently four Saron Chapel Trustees from within the village who, with a small management committee, manage the day to day care of the Chapel, its graveyard and arrange services twice a month.
Details of forthcoming services and events will be posted on this page.

Much work has been undertaken in recent years by the Treoes History Group in gathering historical information about Saron Chapel, about the important emergence of the nonconformist movement at the time and especially of The Rev. Dr Rees Saron Jones. The Minister was ordained in the Chapel in 1868, and married in the Chapel on 26th December 1871 to a
local Cowbridge girl, Elivira, and later later emigrated to the USA . Much more information, photos of his wife and children, of his major achievements in Scranton, Pennsylvania and an amazing existing window dedicated to him can be seen by visiting the Friends of Saron website.

Comments are closed.